ROSS WINS RACE AT AUSSIE NATS

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Thursday, June 9, 2011

Words: John Ross / Todd S

Kiwi John Ross took a race win and finished second overall at the fourth round of the Australian Pro Stock Championship in Queensland last weekend.

John has been competing in the Australian Pro Stock Championship on his BMW S1000RR. The class is for near standard 1000cc road machines.

John takes up the story for the latest round

The weather was great in Queensland the whole weekend. A crew of nine of us went over so I had plenty of help. We were pleased to find the bike when we turned up at the racetrack. The freighting company which had transported the bike had gone in liquidation while transporting it! Robbie Bugden may have forgot to pick up the bike but that didn't matter as he lent me a ute for the weekend.The bike had been sitting in the crate since last round. We went to uncrate the bike at the track and found all my tools had been stolen. A quick trip to Supercheap soon fixed this.

Restorace supplied a new set of KTech suspension for the weekend. We only had three practice sessions before qualifying. I slowly worked up the grid each session and qualified second row in fifth. Race One: with my BMW handling the best it ever has I put my head down and went hard from the start. From sixth place into the first corner I worked my way through to the front leading for the last few laps of the race. Cru Halliday tailed me the entire time putting a pass on three corners from the checkered flag....I was able to cut back and pass him straight back coming out of turn five. Cru lost a place and dropped back to third with Pat Metcalf finishing second.

Race 2 I finished fourth, it was a bit of a boring race. Race 3 I worked myself from fourth place to second place only to drop two places back to fourth battling with Cru for third till the very last corner. He managed to hold me out and I finished fourth. I finished second in the round to Pat Metcalf. Cru Halliday was third. I know am in fourth in the series overall. 13 points away from second and only a couple of points off third.

My next race in Australia will be riding in the MotoGP support class in October at Phillip Island followed by the forth and final round of the Australian Prostock Championship at Phillip Island in November.